Friday 3 August 2012

Introduction - Sophie Thorpe




My name is Sophie and I am currently studying to become a primary/middle school teacher. I have chosen English and Health and Physical Education as my majors given I have a specific interest in both areas. All subject areas in the curriculum are integral in a sound education, but for me, these two are particularly important.

I never particularly enjoyed Health and P.E in primary school, which is a shame because I am very passionate about it now. I believe this is as a result of the way it was presented and valued at the primary school I attended. I plan to learn from my negative experiences during primary school to create positive ones for the students I will teach in the future.

I always found reading, writing and literacy easy throughout my school years, and I believe this was due to my enjoyment of reading. This began from when I was very young reading book series' such as Dr Seuss and The Little Golden Books. I believe reading extended my vocabulary and taught me good grammar skills while I passed time doing something I enjoyed.

 Some children never seem to enjoy reading and I think this is for one of two reasons; either they don't think they are a good reader, or they can't find books that interest them. So I think it is important for primary school teachers to encourage good reading practices and help students find books that they enjoy. Being a confident reader leads to the development of good communication skills which are valued so highly in society. Without good literacy skills and the ability to communicate in a social or professional manner, things can become more challenging than they need to be. For these reasons I am passionate about the importance of teaching language skills. I would like to further my education in the future and learn how best to teach English as a second language. I want to be able to support children of families who immigrate to Australia and perhaps one day teach English internationally.
Through this blog I plan to share the picture books and adolescent novels I am reading with my peers and learn from their reading experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment