Sunday 5 August 2012

Matthew's Introductory Bio


Introductory Bio: How does literacy relate to me?

My name is Matthew Neldner, I am currently undertaking my second year of Bachelor of Primary and Middle Education majoring in science and mathematics, at UniSA based in Mawson Lakes. My initial ambition was to study an Engineering degree, which I studied for a semester; however this area of academia did not include enough creative and inspiring aspects that appealed to me. Looking back at a number the teachers that taught me in secondary school, the way that they affected the lives of their students, the power they had to engage individuals and a whole class of students influenced me to follow a new path of study.

Up until year eleven, reading, critical literacy and expression through literature never really appealed to me. Then my year eleven English Studies teacher set a very high quality bar of work, pushing me and all my peers to perform at our potentials. Throughout my studies of English and literacy I developed an insight into the power of words as expression and the many dimensions of meaning behind multiple modes of text. I was able to construct an understanding of the relationship between English and literacy, literacy being a tool to understand bodies of language and to express ideas, understanding and convey feelings about texts and to create our own texts.

I hope that the course English language and literacy will challenge my ideas about literacy and the English language and provide opportunities for me to learn new concepts to aid in my understanding of the complex subject that carries value to all areas of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment