Wednesday 26 September 2012

Hamish's Picture Book 7/8



The Journey Home

Written by Alison Lester, The Journey Home focuses on two characters named Wild and Woolly. The story starts off with these two characters managing to find their way to the North Pole accidentally. This picture book is narrated using a third person narration from the viewpoints of Wild and Woolly. As the book progresses Wild and Woolly find themselves coming across different people and places on their journey home, until eventually they return home.

The shape this book takes is rather interesting. The exposition of the story is quickly determined where Wild and Woolly are first introduced to the reader in their first location, before they manage to arrive at the North Pole. The shape, therefore, takes a steep climb as it reaches to a complication which is when these two characters need to find their way home from the North Pole. However, after this event occurs, there is no indication of any other complications during the rest of the story as Wild and Woolly appear to enjoy their journey home, and their encounters along the way. The remainder of the shape of this book if drawn would be a consistent line towards the conclusion.

This picture book would be suitable for a lower primary level as an engagement activity into a lesson of story writing or a lesson regarding basic grammar and sentence structure.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Hamish, this author reminds me of my childhood! When I read your post I thought the author sounded familiar so I did some research and found that she created some of my favourite books from my childhood that I had completely forgotten about. Clive Eats Alligators was one of my all-time favourites!

    ReplyDelete